Tuesday, October 4, 2011

The "Banking" Concept of Education

In most schools, students leave without remembering much that was taught. Teachers ask the students to memorize facts and take a test on that material, which causes many students to forget what they learned after the exams. I personally believe that my entire academic career until now was a part of the “banking” concept Paulo Freire refers to.
At one point in the piece, Freire states “…problem-posing education does not and cannot serve the interests of the oppressor. No oppressive order could permit the oppressed to begin to question: Why,” (Freire 328). Through this quote, the reader is able to conclude that Paulo Freire condemns the “banking” concept of education because of its burden. It hinders students from being creative, and having the opportunity to truly learn.
I found that quote to be powerful; it reminded me of Physics teacher. During my senior year of high school, he would always tell us to “see the significance of things or we would end up frozen and dead alongside a river.” We never understood what he meant by that, so we would just smile and nod. However, as the year progressed, we started recognizing what he meant. He believed that the only way to truly learn was to see the significance of things, which could only be achieved through imagination. And without imagination, we would end up frozen and dead alongside the river of life. So in order to accomplish that, we had to be willing to ask “Why,” which I believe could represent this specific concept of Freire.  

2 comments:

  1. Excellent comments. Your physics teacher sounds like exactly the kind of person we need teaching science! WHY??? What a POWERFUL question!!!!

    Go to your room!
    Why?

    Take this test!
    Why?

    Pay your taxes to the government!
    Why?

    Forget the poor and focus on yourself!
    Why?

    Go to college!
    Why?

    Read Freire's essay!
    Why?

    Execute this man!
    Why?


    I'm not sure how much the class notices, but I believe it my responsibility to show you "why" we do anything that we do in the class. My goal is to always say "we are going to do this because it will allow us to do this and I am basing this activity on this way of thinking of education"

    ReplyDelete
  2. I should add that the "why" question is not meant to be an act of rebellion or refusal to act. Rather, it asks those who ask us to act and behave in a certain way to justify their position.

    For example, if a mother said "go to room" and I said "why" and she said "because you hit your father, which is an inappropriate response and is not how I want you to act in the future" I think that's a somewhat good justification. Say I inquire further, "but why is my punishment going to my room?" And she responds "because I think that by forcing you to be alone it will make you think" ----this is the kind of justification made necessary by the "why".

    ReplyDelete